Sunday, March 31, 2013

Facebook - to hate or not to hate?

I hate Facebook! Really, I do. At first it was this great way to stay in contact with people from “back in the day”, but now it is a constant reminder of me failing at life. Of course, I don’t blame Facebook for that, it’s just life was so much easier before everyone knew everyone’s business. Why not just delete my account, you say? Well, I have a lot of family overseas and Facebook is a great way for them to see pictures I upload so they can know what’s happening in my life. However, besides the family there are a 100 other people on my friend’s list and I am only friends with maybe 5 of them. The rest of the “friends” are people who I just feel it would   be socially unacceptable to delete. (Sigh)
Every time I log in, I get an instant reminder of how happy everyone else is and how miserable I actually am. Wasn’t life so much simpler back when we didn’t have to constantly see the happy faces of our childhood friends getting engaged, married, having babies and buying houses? I am surprised there isn’t much research to say that social media is the cause of the increase in depression and the use of relevant medications. Maybe this is part of the reason people seemed so much happier before the new millennium, before the internet and the viral world – kids played outside, pictures were printed and shared in person, when everyone from your childhood had no idea what your life became after high school graduation and how much less competition you felt all around you. Maybe it’s just me and everyone else is really as happy as they are on the pages of Facebook?

I probably sound like a 40 year old crazy and bitter cat lady. Well, I am not there yet, maybe a little crazy, maybe somewhat bitter, but I am not 40 and I do not have any cats. I am soon to be 30, which is probably the reason for me feeling all that pressure to show “success” in all parts of my life and since it’s not on Facebook for everyone to comment on, then it must be the case – I am failing at life and everyone I know knows about it. 

Do you ever feel this way about social media? Do you miss the days when your life was still private and only those people really close to you knew your business? Or is it just me?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel the same way. I feel like it's getting way too "spamy".

I only use it for blogging purposes now.

Thanks for sharing!

Lazy Little Lion said...

Hi John :)

I agree, spam is a huge issue with Facebook and i doubt it will get better, only worse =/

Anonymous said...

I think Facebook sucks, it's really badly managed, too commercial, yada yada, but I still think it's a good way to get in touch with friends you thought you had lost forever. But, I totally hate what it has become.. I don't know, but people don't seem to write much anymore, they just share silly pictures from all over the place and it's just so boring.
And, just like you, it makes me feel lonely when I see "everyone" doing this and that with people and here I am and noone ever wants me to be a part of all that fun.
I have an account but don't really use it. I've deleted it once but put it back because I have lots of friends and family far away. For some of them, Facebook is the only way to stay in touch easily so I do want to keep my account, but I've deleted my pictures and stuff, and don't really post anything.

Hello btw, found your link on the Better Blogger Network.

Lazy Little Lion said...

Hello Susanne! (So Sorry about the late reply)

I agree with you - facebook has changed, at one point it was clean and simple and now it is way too commercial. I actually had a chance to visit fb's headquarters a few years ago and it was awesome to see the other side of my facebook "wall". I think we are yet to see many changes with fb, hopefully, those changes will be for the better :)
Have you tried google+ and the communities there?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm on Google + and I like it a lot, I just think it's a pity not more people use it! I've just started to check out the communities, I joined a photo challenge community but haven't been involved yet really.

Lazy Little Lion said...

Susanne -
(again sorry for the late reply, had to figure out my commenting system urgh)
Google+ is picking up, some communities have 40 thousand people 0_o but at the same time i am still getting used to the dashboard as there are so many things go on as soon as you log in that its almost overwhelming. Hoping they will organize it a little better soon :)

Miriam said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Facebook can feel like this huge popularity contest. However, keep in mind that people only post about their best days: vacation, when they got their hair/make-up done, when something good happens. They are not quite lying, but only tell you half the truth. Lying by omission?
Don't take anything on fb at face value. Let's say somebody posts about getting pregnant and how they are "so excited": I fully believe that they are excited, but they don't talk about the other feelings: maybe they are scared, worried about the future, not a 100% sure they really want a baby (now?).
Check out people's profiles: a lot of them post infrequently (especially pictures), so it is NOT a true reflection of their daily lives.
Recognizing this is very liberating and you can enjoy fb for its good parts!

Lazy Little Lion said...

Hi Miriam :)

I agree - fb does only show the "best" side of people on their good days. My best friend often reminds me of that actually, in case i feel down about my own life spinning in circles while everyone else seems to be moving forward. And what you said is true for me as well - i wouldn't put up bad pictures or the dramas of my life on fb so maybe to someone my life seems perfect when in reality it's not? This kinda puts things in perspective - Thanks! :)

Post a Comment

 

Lazy Little Lion Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger